3/14/2010

Week 1

I have been in Texas one week. I think I like it.

The weather has been fabulous... mostly. In the 70's and sunny as can be. Except for the rain that seems to come out of nowhere, terribly loud, and then disappear again. I've had 4 older women at work approach me and tell me that if I don't like the weather, just wait a second- I'm beginning to see what they mean. Oh, and the wind. It's very windy sometimes. I will have to drop the medusa hair and get back into a slick ponytail so I don't choke on my hair. Which, yesterday I noticed it's getting very long. I'm going to continue to grow it even longer, but I guess a trim is in order.

Ok- so week 1 of Texas is probably going something like week 1 of Chattanooga. Now, don't get all worried, I don't imagine I'll be suicidal or anything. But, god, I forgot how lame it was to not know a soul. And worse, last week I was still doing my old job, so no one knew really had the need to speak with me. I mean, I introduced myself to people around me and I've been extra smiley when walking around. But, it's crap not knowing anyone. And worse, I don't really know exactly what I'll be doing so they definitely have no idea what I'll be doing.

The people around me are alight. This one girl, I'll be honest I can't remember her name, I'm pretty sure she especially doesn't like me or, at least, doesn't want to get to know me. And since I'm pretty confident of that, and thus the fact that she'll never be reading my blog, I'll tell you she has the most disgusting cough. Ever. She is ALWAYS clearing her throat. Loudly. It's really disgusting. If she had the flu, ok, I'd forgive her. But, she's at work, so I'm guessing it's not the flu, just a disgusting habit I have to get used to listening to for the next year and a half. She also is always lisening to her iPod and never smiles at me or even says hello. B. And then there is the people on the phone on the other side of my cube.

I think anyone that works in an office can attest to the fact that you pick the sounds you hear. (Yes, I guess that means I'm going to have to start ignoring the hacking on my left side.) Anyway, I'm good at tuning out the people that are on the phones just because I'm concentrating on other things (coughing). But, this one woman had such a phone issue last week- I could have died, laughing of course. She was trying to transfer someone. As soon as she put the first person on hold, the phone started ringing back to her. This is literally what took place for 5 minutes:

(ringing, ringing)
Rep: M? Hello? Uh.. Click
(ringing, ringing)
Rep: L? Hello? Uh… Click
(ringing, ringing)
Rep: M? Hello? Uh.. Click
(ringing, ringing)
Rep: L? Are you there? Uh…oh gosh. Click
(ringing, ringing)
Rep: M? Hello? Hello? Are you there? Uh.. Click
(ringing, ringing)
Rep: L? Are you there?? Uh… Click
Rep: M? Oh! There you are. I did something weird. Let's see if I can get L…
(ringing, ringing)
Rep: L? Oh no. M? L? Uh… Click.
(rining, rining)
Rep: Oh no. Click.
Rep: K, I need your help.

She finally got the person transferred. I thought she was going to throw the phone out the window too. It was a long 5 minutes. I'll tell you what though, they will keep me young here. And- this is why The Office is a successful TV show- Because it is real.

In other news- I'm down to 3 boxes in my apartment! And, they are mostly empty, just need to put a few more things away and then throw the rest of the crap away. Despite my size downgrade, I've found a place for most things. I've also found the need to buy a few things. I wanted to buy a washer and dryer, and was set on doing that this weekend, but after I loaded up the closet, I found that I still had lots of crap to put places... like the closet with the washer and dryer hookup. So- clothes are important to me, but not the convenience of washing them in my own home. Oh well, laundry room it is.

Other things you should know- I'm reading Twilight. I know. I know! I can't believe it either. One of my employees in Chattanooga always talked and talked about them. So, she got me the first one and told me to read it. And I did. Every day before bed this week. Until Friday when I stayed up until 2AM to finish it. And then Saturday, when I went to the grocery store, I bought the second one. And read all but the last 50 pages until past 3AM and couldn't keep my eyes open. And then this morning, when I woke up to my phone "droiding" me and I didn't even look at it, I just knew I had to finish the last 50 pages. So- I'll probably be going to get the third and probably fourth one today. And then I'll probably have to watch the movies too. I know, I know. Whatever. I like them. Uh.

This week the new role officially starts. I'm back to the beginning. I know nothing. I have an idea of what I'll be doing, but I don't really know anything about the details. I'm going to have to sit with a bunch of people who don't know who I am or what I'm doing and spend days and days smiling and being presentation Megan until my face falls off. I'm so excited. But-! Friends this Saturday- so that is just fabulous.

And, for you Penn Staters, my flight and hotel are booked for Blue White weekend. I can't wait to see all your faces!

No comments:

Post a Comment