2/06/2010

Snowed in...

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday... I should have expected the rest of the day.

I love the snooze button. LOVE. I set alarms all over the house, get out of bed to snooze them and then get right back in bed to sleep through them. Some days are better than others and I'm not sure which is considered the better day: when I get up on time, or when I snooze an hour.

Yesterday I snoozed an hour. Because of my road trip, I hadn't been grocery shopping and didn't really have too much to pick from for breakfast. I obviously decided on Oreos and milk. I ate these slowly while I continued to not get ready for work.

Next my dad calls me- any call before... noon.. I think is an emergency and I mentally prepare for a death in the family. No death today. Just a worried mother who made my dad check the weather for my entire route. The northeast is participating in the Blizzard of 2010 and I was no longer going back to Pittsburgh.

It isn't cold enough down here right now to continue the Blizzard of 2010 so now we have the Tsunami of 2010. You won't find many people down here that complain about all the rain we get since there was apparently a drought for 3 years. But, honestly, this is a LOT of rain and it's just so dreary! And, as expected, the only thing Noogans hate driving in more than snow is rain. Needless to say... commuting was awful.

Since I was pretty much as tote mis as you can be, I moved to work at home for the afternoon. This perked me up a little bit, but then some jackwipe cut me off in the middle of an intersection. I was not in the mood. I laid on the horn for... 30 seconds? That's a long time in a horn's life. This man looked at me like "what!?" so I looked at him with a "YOU ARE A COMPLETE MORON" look and continued driving. I just hope it wasn't anyone I worked with because I was not discreet....

So, plans for he weekend changed drastically. As soon as I logged out of work yesterday I fell asleep... for four hours. I only woke up because a friend called at 9:30.... So that woke me up for 3 hours and then I went back to bed. I woke up this morning having a really weird dream (that I can't remember now) and have been up since 8AM.

I have watched 8 hours of Dogs 101 on Animal Planet mixed with some Bravo TV (Millionaire Matchmaker, Law and Order, Kell on Earth, Orange County Housewives) and TLC (Little People, Big World, Say Yes to the Dress, What Not to Wear). There was a lot of channel surfing involved in my day today. And I know you all think I LOVE TV (which, ok, I do) - but, believe me, I'd give up my TV to have a fun/wild night/day out... but unfortunately that doesn't exist for me too much.

Back to more important things.... Dogs 101 is by far the best show on TV and I learn a lot about all the breeds every time I watch it. I'm pretty good at the pop quizzes too. Q: Which breed of dog holds the record for longest eye lashes? A: Cocker Spaniel. I learned things about my favorite, the Shih Tzu. Did you know that Shih Tzus were feet warmers for Chinese royalty?! Awww. Did you know that Shih Tzus were almost extinct but seven boys and seven girls were saved and all Shih Tzus in the world can be traced back to those 14 dogs? I learned some other cool things, but I don't want to share all my interesting facts with you in one reading/sitting. You'll just have to wait for more... later.

I booked my "secure housing" visit to Dallas for Feb 16-19. I'm super excited. But, I'm also getting paranoid. Apartment searching in Chattanooga didn't go so well, and I don't have much positive energy towards apartment hunting in a bigger and realer (not a word, I know) city.

When I apartment hunted in Chattanooga... I'm pretty sure I cried every night. It was a family emergency. It is completely exhausting. Just think about it... a brand new culture, a totally new town, a new role, ZERO sense of direction and needing to secure housing in a few days so I have somewhere for my stuff. I didn't know what was a good deal, I didn't know what was a good location, I didn't know if old people were everywhere or just where I was looking, I didn't know what the crime was like or where the grocery stores were... it was awful. On the last day I picked a place, cried some more and left.

When I moved into the place I picked, my parents pretty much crapped their pants. They thought I was a total idiot and couldn't believe this was the place I picked. It was awful. More crying. More emergency phone calls (on Labor Day mind you) and one place was open. The woman opened up the leasing office, showed us a few great apartments and left the lights on in the loft apartment because she had a "feeling" I was coming back. I did. It was also a disaster because the moving company was going to the old address, and then we had to tell them not to. So they were going to put my stuff in storage. But then I had the new apartment. So I had to call them back and "Uhhh, fine, yes we can come today". And my parents were asking me "which way do you want the couch?". Ugh. I am not looking forward to that AT ALL.

Because I am so emotionally unstable in personal, high stress situations, my Dad is coming to Dallas with me. Parents are so great for handling big decisions, even if I'm supposed to be a grown up and be able to handle them myself. We'll have two days to scope out the area and get me a lease. And the apartment can't just be any apartment... I'm living in over 900 sq ft right now with a real dining room table... I will need at least 750 sq ft. Ick- when did I become a person that talks square feet? Barf. I'm so old.

So, I've got the one friend who is from Plano and I'll be hounding her for help (THANK YOU!), but, obviously, all help available is needed. If you have any friends I can borrow in the Dallas area, that would be wonderful. If any of them are 6'4, handsome, single and employed - I promise to take good care of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment