2/01/2010

A bad case of the Mondays...

Uh. Monday.

You would think after 17 months Mondays would be a little easier? False. By 10AM I was already dying to get out of the office and get home.

The Blizzard of 2010 continues with school closing and delays scrolling across the news. You'd think there was actual snow out there the way they talk about the freezing point and the slick road conditions. But, guess what? There isn't. Like a normal person used to snow/ice, I spent a whopping 5 minutes clearing the frost off my windows before driving on the "slick" roads. For as scared as these Noogans are, you'd think they'd do the same- right? Wrong. I saw minivan (probably with kids in tow) with a little face hole on the front windshield- everything else iced over. Seriously, people? If you are so terrified to drive in these "conditions" don't you think one thing you could do to ensure safety is... I don't know... clear off at least your front windshield???!!! Oh, and maybe put the defroster on for your rear window? Inbelievable.

(Inbelievable - not a typo. Definition: Unbelievable, but I believe it.)

I'm truly becoming afraid to drive in these "conditions" - not because of the actual conditions but because of the total lack of intelligent people on the road and behind the wheel.

Since the Blizzard of 2010 is pretty much the most amazing and catastrophic event to hit Chattanooga, talk all morning was about the weather. In the elevator, walking to my desk, in the break room, through chat. "It's so cold!" "Oh, my! The traffic on Friday!" "My neighborhood was COVERED in snow!!!!" "The conditions are so slick- people were slipping all over the roads!" "I prayed and cried the whole way home!" Seriously... I can't take it.

My peer let me know that because the weather was so awful, terrible on Friday she let my team go home early (I don't care) but since they aren't here yet (9:15 on a Monday during the Blizzard of 2010) have I spoken to them and am I sure they are ok and weren't in an accident!!!????

Yes. I'm sure. No. I don't need to call them.

Also, no news on my next rotation. Sweet. Despite my vow to the leasing office that I would never do business with them again, I'm requesting an extension on my lease. (Insert foot in mouth.) Yes, I hate them. Yes, I would never in a million years recommend my complex to anyone else. Yes, they are probably going to rip me off big time with what they consider a reasonable "prorated" rent amount. But, no, I do not want to sleep outside in my car while I wait for my relocation fate.

In other news, I tossed the chocolate/chocolate cake. It wasn't a giant cake, but it was more than enough for one person. And I was going through it too quickly. Fat-Awareness-Friday's (FAFs) have been slipping and I think I'll bring them back to life for February. What is FAF you ask? Well, in order to increase our fat awareness, me and Kimchi share our Friday weights with each other. It goes one of two ways:
1. Down 1-2 lbs: OMG! THAT IS AMAZING!!! You are so great!!!
2. Up 1-2lbs: Lame. Who cares. Are you going out drinking/out to dinner tonight?
(Yes, I realize that FAFs can also be Fat-Ass-Friday).

Oh! And I can't believe I didn't start with this! The dead bird curse is back. Maybe the person that put the hex on me is reading this? You can stop now. For those of you that don't know about the dead bird curse - well, I see dead birds. (Yes, I get that is like the Sixth Sense and "I see dead people". No, I am not making this up.) I did some gmail research because I know I've talked about the dead birds before and I've been seeing them for a while. Gmail confirms that I've been seeing them since EASTER. That's a long time. I wish I tracked every dead bird I've seen- I mean, I can remember a few standout situations, but surely not all of them.

So, yes, I see dead birds. And I've tried everything I can to stop seeing dead birds. I documented the situation in May to the Circle. It pretty much covers everything you need to know:
"every week since easter i have seen at least one dead bird. at first i didn't really notice because i thought they were babies that fell out of the nest. well last week i started picking up on all the dead bird sightings (flattened in parking lots, dead on the sidewalk, necks twisted in planters) and i was telling jenn and ajay "i see dead birds everywhere". they thought i was crazy but as soon as i finished my story, in a parking garage mind you, i see ANOTHER dead bird. not a baby, but a young bird, no feathers, neck twisted, in the parking spot next to me. shocking. i can't believe dead birds are following me. so, i decided to make an effort to notice alive birds. and i started noticing a lot of them- some flying, some just standing on my car, and i really thought my luck was changing. well, it isn't. this morning, strolling into work, loving the 70 degree morning and my blue shoes what do i see but a dove. dead. it was like it was sitting in a tree and just fell out! again, a twisted neck. but wings in, eyes closed. just peaceful and dead. but i was not happy about this and stomped my foot and said ARE YOU KIDDING ME outside my office building. i came in early today so i dont think anyone saw me, but i scurried inside when i remembered i was in public."
So, dead bird sightings have continued off and on for almost a year. One time I even saw the remains of a chicken wing on the sidewalk. Today's dead bird was particularly awful. Dead. Frozen looking. On the railroad tracks. I had to step over it. Yuk.

I'm going to go back to noticing alive birds tomorrow. Even the annoying ones that sit on my chimney and squak.

No comments:

Post a Comment