2/15/2010

Call your grandparents!

Sorry about the lamest entry ever yesterday - I just knew I needed to post something to keep me in the habit. Hopefully a more exciting update at the end of the week, post Texas. Hopefully, this one is even 2% more entertaining for you...

My alarm noise is so annoying! It's this awful rooster crow that makes you want to rip your ears off - but also wakes you up immediately. This morning when it went off I was so thankful because I was having the weirdest dream! I was in the "after life" with a bunch of other dead people (dead people that I know and are alive) and we were shopping at this mall to decorate our after-life apartments. So weird. I was happy to wake up and be returned to the before-life.

I worked from home today because my movers were coming to assess my crap and see what an approximate weight would be. I have so much stuff. I've been doing a really great job at getting rid of things - three bags of clothing to goodwill, 2 tv's gone, a giant area rug gone, a dresser in the garbage... Lots of things won't make the move with me. But still, a lot will. I'm not a candidate for hoarders by any means, but a regular person just has a lot of stuff. It was a pretty quick meeting and I'll be "hearing from them" soon enough. I hope they understand that March is basically here.... and I move in March!

While working I have all my calls from my work line forwarded to my cell phone. This is great, except all calls come in from a general number and I never know who it is. I got a call this afternoon from a man whose first language was not English and I literally could not understand anything he said. I assumed he was calling me for a reason but honestly in 5 minutes of conversation I couldn't figure out what on earth he wanted. I finally convinced him to message me through our work system. The conversation went like this:

Him: You want to remove access for user from ABC123/thing/321CBA
Me: I'm sorry - what is that?
Him: It's a thing to remove access from
Me: I'm sorry - I don't know what that thing means. No changes can happen until 3/1
Him: I want to confirm with you the change
Me: I'm not sure what is changing
Him: Access
Me: Access to what?
Him: The thing. Can we change it?
Me: I don't understand what access does.
Him: If you request a change you should know what for
Me: I've never heard of that before and don't remember requesting it
Him: Do you want to confirm with manager
Me: I'm the manager. I don't know what that does. You can do it on 3/1
Him: Can I close it
Me: Is there someone else I can speak to regarding what this thing is and what it does?
Him: The user does not have access now
Me: I thought you want to remove access
Him: The request is to remove access
Me: But you said the user does not have access
Him: Yes, which is why I want to close it with no action.
Me: So what do you need from me?
Him: Please confirm I can close with no change.
Me: Confirmed

Seriously, dude? This is the summary version and the conversation was actually 10 minutes of messaging. I have to mind my manners since it IS work. But... really? REALLY? Again... looking forward to my next role.

So- I fly to Texas tomorrow morning... 5:30 (ick!) and I have my first housing appointment at 11AM. Small world! My Nanny's (my cousin's grandma, but my grandma too) neighbors from North Carolina (where we cousins vacationed for years and years) have a son that lives in Plano and is going to meet with me and my Dad tomorrow to help with the area housing search and figuring out some of the roads. I pretty much have the highest hopes for this man because his step mother and father were two of our favorite neighbors to visit.

See, when we would visit NC and stay with Nanny and Poppy we were the youngest by.... 60 years! LOL. It was an obvious grandparent hang and sometimes we'd get lucky and there would be other grandkids, but most of the time the oldies would have us over and spoil us with treats, dinners, outings, etc. It was pretty much the best vacation package you could ask for! B and I set up a fabulous ice cream sundae bar for us once and introduced us to all the ducks that lived in the pond in the back yard. We named them all but I distinctly remember one duck that had a mental disorder and this weird reverse cough instead of a quack and this turkey-like coloring. Weird. We told my sister that was "her" duck and my cousin and I took the normal white ducks for our own. And when I say "took" I mean - looked at them from the porch and said "OH! There's my duck!"

Post work I did some grandparent calling. My poppy let me know that my grandma was out shoveling snow (Old people- they never listen) and my grandma let me know that a "ta-bac-ah chewin" cowboy is unacceptable but a nice man that owns a horse farm is ok. My granellie is just so "tickled" that I called her and let me know my cousins wedding date is set for the end of July. Left a VM for Nanny and Poppy- but I expect that me and Nanny will do some Bachelor chatting and recapping on which of the girls is her favorite to win. If you haven't called your grandparents in a while... you should. Now. They love it!

So... Buzz. It's all over the internet as a huge privacy issue. I don't think I really have anything super private (except this blog, which I'm still mindful of when typing/posting) but the internet has got me all worked up. I turned Buzz off. Sorry for those I tried to convert (you still can at least give it a try), and sorry to Buzz- make my profile privacy options easier to update and maybe I'll come back.

Enjoy your week, readers - oh, and why don't you just "follow" me via blog! And don't give me this crap "I'm not following a blog blah blah". If I've made you even smirk, which you've told me I have, you could so kindly give me a follow. That way I know I'm not writing out into space! Although, if you know me, you know there is a chance I would continue to write into space... Regardless, go ahead... follow me.

No comments:

Post a Comment