12/12/2010

salsaa!

Last week was total crap at work. Seriously. Everything that could go wrong did. I don't know if I was just too close to all the chaos, but I was pretty hectic and TO-ed. By the time Thursday rolled around - pretty much everyone knew. And I was pretty much not hiding it. When asked, I said - yes, this is the worst week since March. And I cannot wait until FRIDAY! I'm not usually a huge TGIF person. I mean, yes, obviously I enjoy the weekends - but I know I need to go through 5 work days before that happens. Anyway. Work was crappy.

And even though I say work was crappy, I still work with nice people. And some characters. At least I didn't want to kill anyone. On Wednesday? Thursday? Something. One of the people came up to me and said "Uh, Megan, what would I do if... if I found something?". My face was not amused. I mean - is this really a question? And I'm pretty sure my face said that. I used my words to say "I need you to be a little more specific." She thought and thought and then said "Like, what if I was in the breakroom and saw something... just, saw something somewhere?"

It's like having children. Even though I am a project manager, many people think I'm also the office manager. So I get questions like "Do you have any badge clips?" (which, yes I do) or statements like "I have a doctor's appointment at 2pm and want to take my lunch then" (I'm not your manager so I don't care where you are or aren't) and I sometimes do things like learn how to install printer ink so the department can continue to function. Jack of all trades, master of none. What will they do without me when the time comes for me to rotate?

Anyway, back to my story -- I get questions like "Like, what if I was in the breakroom and saw something... just, saw something somewhere?" and it doesn't shock me that they think I'm the one that will fix the problem, just the types of problems they manage to find. I, nicely, say "I'm going to need you to be more specific or I cannot help you." Now there is a group of them and I know everyone knows what is going on BUT me and it worries me. She finally says "There is a mouse in the break room, behind the ice machine." To which I respond "WhhhAATT!!!! WhAT IS IT DOING THERE!!!???" Panic. Obviously. Probably why she tried to be so vague from the get go. And she goes "I know you aren't a country girl, but, it's fine. It's just a mouse. And it's petrified."

Not a country girl? Correct. Petrified: past tense of pet·ri·fy (Verb) 1. To make (someone) so frightened that they are unable to move or think.

I then say "Oh my gosh! Poor thing! It must be so scared! I'll call facilities"

To which she responds "No, not scared. Petrified. It's been dead since October." Petrified: past tense of pet·ri·fy (Verb) 2. Change (organic matter) into a stony concretion by encrusting or replacing its original substance with a calcareous, siliceous, or other mineral deposit.

Seriously? After I think this through and they all laugh at me being sad for a scared mouse which is really a REALLY DEAD mouse I say -- "It's been dead since OCTOBER? AND YOU ARE JUST TELLING ME NOW? YUK!"

There is now commotion in the break room because everyone wants to see the mouse. I do NOT want to see the mouse, so I call facilities. And then I gather everyone around and say - If you find a DEAD RODENT CALL FACILITIES IMMEDIATELY. Who REALLY needs to say that out loud? The woman that brought this to my attention says she will "next time", but she just "forgot". Since October. Forgot. About a dead mouse. Disgusting.

Let's see - what else happened?? Friend Jill from DE office was in town and we caught a drink together. A friend of hers from Syracuse now lives in Austin and drove all the way to Dallas to see her for dinner! That's pretty much a good friend. We enjoyed mambo taxis and chat chat chatting! Jill and friend Ryan were RAs and wrote up freshman. The only thing I'm confused on is that I thought she was bringing me a friend from Dallas - not a friend from 3.5 hours away. But he did pay for our mambo taxis, which was really nice - so I'll consider it a wash.

When Friday rolled around I went Salsa dancing! I went with this group for Dallas transplants that are young professionals. I've gone to one other meetup and I met two girls there that were really nice and pretty (I'm not just going to pick up ugly friends just to have friends). And they were going to this salsa meetup and then I decided to also go. I have not salsa-ed before. I have Zumba-ed though. I get there at 9:30 and there is some awkward chatting with some of the new people, but all in all everyone is normal and having a good time. And then the salsa band starts and it's like nothing I've ever seen before! So much dancing. People are hardcore about this. BUT! It's the most non-threatening environment ever. Everyone is there to dance! So, when short Mexicans asked us if we knew how to salsa (no) and could they teach us (sure thing!) we all were out "salsa-ing" and having a really great time. I did not expect to enjoy the times so much, but before I knew it- it was 1:45 am and I had gotten a serious salsa cardio workout. I still don't know what I'm doing.

The two girls I new from before are Kelly and Carissa. Kelly works as a designer for my most favorite store ever: JCP. And she brought her friend Erin who she said I would really like -- and, I did. I tried not to totally full court press her for friendship, but we did coat check together and exchange numbers at the end of the night. I'm going to try to do a happy hour with them this week to try to secure the friendship. She's really pretty. Maybe too pretty. But a really great time. And she lives in the same area as me. And is considering moving the same month I am.... to the same part of town I'm looking at. Could this be too good to be true? Probably. But - we shall see. I slept until 1pm yesterday. Part salsa dancing exhaustion, mostly work exhaustion. It was glorious.

Girlfriend Sarah -- you have not been replaced (never!). But, you should really try to be better friends before 2011! Is it because I visited for 20 hours? Did Brian tell you to dump me? I can't take it.

Last night I went out with friend Jessica and her friend Hannah for their birthdays. We had a great Taco Diner dinner and went to a bar for a little bit. Both Jessica and friend Hannah are Korean. And so cute and tiny. And then their friend David came who is also Asian (I don't know what kind) and also so tiny! I loved being a minority and saying things like "God, white people....". Hannah lives in St Angelo which they tell me is in Texas and I think me and Jessica will make a summer trip to visit. It will probably be so hot since it's south of DFW.

Now I'm down tot he wire with baking. I've only made 2 batches of cookies. I started the cake balls today and I'm going to do buckeyes also. I have to wait to make the chocolate chip cookies and sugar cookies because I think people would prefer them fresh. I'll just watch the Steelers for now though... and stress over baking later.

2 comments:

  1. Megan! In no way will you EVER be replaced. I'm sorry that I could not go out for Jessica's birthday, but it was my office/school's Christmas party :( Please accept my apologies.

    If I cannot see you before Christmas, then we will definitely need to get together whilst Gio is here. We can talk about all of our inside jokes and make her madly jealous. It will be incredibly enjoyable.

    Oh, and we will need to go on a Macy's shopping spree because now we got da hook up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I am so happy you have zumba'ed- greatest thing ever. 2. I cannot believe you went salsa dancing- whenever i get to texas i want to do two things: LINE DANCE and now salsa

    ReplyDelete